Friday, June 29, 2012

A Hug Each Day Keeps The Monsters Away

http://mandiwill.uppercaseliving.net


I can't help it.  All I wanna do when she's in my arms is kiss her.  And kiss her all over.  On her neck, on her chubby little thighs, and her sweet cheeks....everywhere!  And sometimes, I just wanna sqoosh in a big bear hug.    That's Addy, my mischievious, little 19 month old.  


Then there's her big brother, by 7 years.  When Isaac was about Addy's age and just beginning to talk, he'd waddle right up to us, stretch out his little arms, tilt his head way back to make eye contact with us and with a really pitiful look on his face and those puppy dog eyes, he'd say, "Hold you, mommy.  Hold you."  Ahhhhh, my heart would just melt.  And then what else could I do, but swoop him up in my arms and squeeze him as tight as I could.  


What happens to touch as we grow up?  Why is that as we progressively get older, we get less and less physical touch in our lives?  Is it because we aren't as cute anymore?  Maybe our skin is a little rougher?  Or is it because our society has made it into a dirty, bad thing?  


Why do we have personal space boundaries?  Are we protecting ourselves from harm or are we putting up a wall between us and that other person?  


When I was a pre-teen, my big sister and I used to hold hands when we were at the mall together.  It's a memory I treasure.  But then something happened, and at some point I realized "Oh no, do people think I'm her girlfriend?"    After that, I stopped holding her hand in public.  Was that right of me?  Should I stop showing my love to my sister in public, just because someone might think our relationship is something other than sisterhood?  


When was the last time you ruffled somebody's hair or gave them a gentle rub on the shoulder or back?  Even a simple touch like these can boost someone's confidence level and make them feel appreciated and well loved. I'm afraid, in this age where inappropriate touch is prevalent we have gotten away from the true intended meaning of a simple touch. Pure touch.  Touch that is simple and kind and caring.  Touch that communicates love.  


Also, don't be afraid to ask someone if they could use a hug.  You know who they are.  You can see it in their face.  Just a hint....in that awkward moment, when they turn their eyes away and say, "I'm fine."  Reach out, touch them.  Take your hand and place it on their shoulder and tell them, "I care.  And if you need a hug, I'm willing to give you one.  No strings attached."  


A hug brings about hope. 


There are people in our everyday lives who have not felt physical touch in days, weeks, even months.  And they are desperate.  They need someone to bring them hope.  


Will you step outside of your comfort zone today and give someone a hug?  


Ecclesiastes 3 says, 
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.....
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, 
A TIME TO EMBRACE 
and a time to refrain..."  



1 comment:

  1. Interesting post...and true. I hope my kids never outgrow receiving hugs from their Mom.

    ReplyDelete